WORKING AMONG MEN IS A WAR ZONE-MAUDLINE BENWARI,FEMALE PAINTER




 Maudline Benwa,is a qualified Spray painter \Baster and House painter , in this interview shares how her journey began










 How your journey as a painter began?
     
My journey started as a trainee under spibat in the Eleme Petrochemical projected as a spray painter in 1992. I was trained and graduated there.


 What inspires you? 

  I inspire myself.





 How fulfilled are you in your chosen career?

Am fulfilled because I make myself proud, my children, family, friends, clients I work for. It pays all my bills.


 Who is your role model?

 My role model is Mrs. Meg Agidee, from Bayelsa State. A  contractress, She has done well for herself with hard work. she is proud of me and advertise me a lot.

 How do you relax?

  I don’t think I relax because I have no such time except my sleeping hours which is short but it’s okay.

 Advice for the Nigerian Youths especially the female folks? 

  I pray that all youths will wake up now that there is time. I started at age 17, so it’s not too early for one to help him or herself. For the women who think am doing a hard work. Life is hard when you have no helper. And even if you do, he might get tired of helping someday. But normally, its good to support your husband, family or friends, so go out there and learn a trade.









How do you handle the male folks being in a male dominated proffession ? 

Working among men  is not easy. In my own case where most times I have to lead them! It is a war zone. Mostly intimidated, scorned, feeling inferior, but I never gave up. And am still striving hard. They make me stronger.


What does it take to become a good painter? 

 It takes a good painter to have a creative mindset. A good painter must learn patiently from the basis and afterwards become a professional painter. You must have stamina for standing 10 hours a day.

Please tell us about your background?

Am maudline Benwari from Nembe Bassambiri, in Bayelsa State. I was born into a family of 12. Am the 6th child of my late parents. Am a Mother with kids.

Comments