Our unique selling point, Keep it simple, classy, trendy and timeless-Azuka Echekoba of ZhukkiAfro



Fashion, from ages past, has  been an aspect of culture that evokes the very spirit, nature and power of the people that own it. The Nigerian spirit and culture has always been a very vibrant, colorful, flamboyant and an irrepressible one. This fullness of life and diverse richness is hard to capture, tame and reintroduce into the current trends of the fashion world but some unique fashion icons has been able to do just that. In this interview Azuka Echekoba,the creative mind behind ZHUKKIAFRO bears it all with Eric olusesan. 


Why did you go into fashion? 
 First of all am a creative person and two there was scarcity of job when I left school so since I couldn't pass bank job, I had to swim the rough waters of self employment
How was your growing up years?
 My growing up was fun, loving and carefree. I am the last of the family of six. A bit spoilt. I attended Federal government college kwali Abuja. This school formed me probably prepared me for the dogged nature of the fashion world. We were 9 girls out 40 or so students
 If not for fashion what else would you do?
 If not fashion, make up or advertising world

 How would you advise the government on fashion? 
 To invest heavily in the fashion industry. Government should understudy the industry very well and understand how it works because it's a money spinning business.
There Is a lot of job opportunities in the industry. They should look at it beyond cut and join business or asobi business
 three. Garment industry is broken into different departments.. The designer, the pattern maker. The samples, the model, the mass production department etc. You can imagine how many people will be absorbed into all these
If possible there can be private government partnership. Then employ some of these Asian people and mix them up with the Aba boys. With these we can proudly beat our chest that we can mass produce what a departmental shop can stock
 How would you rate our fashion industry? 
 Our fashion industry is still far from what it ought to be.
What basic challenges do you face as a fashion designer?
Biggest challenge is finance and marketing
 How do you give back to the society? 

I have a pet project tagged Change your world' use what you have to affect your immediate environment. Its basically using fashion and it's related skills to impact positively in th lives of the Exp_prostituess and Youth. Teaching them how to live above hardship. Its 5 years running now. I work with rehabilitation centres like The Genesis House (an arm of freedom foundation) etc lagos
Who inspires you? 
 The only person that inspires me in this industry is MUDI Africa
What is your philosophy of life? 
 My philosophy in life is live and let others live. Give the people what the basically need to move on with life, which are light, water, good road and basic health facilities. If you amass all the wealth,,,,,, it's 6feet down for every body
 On daily basis, how do you get inspired? 

I get my inspiration from the master creator The Holy spirit, from the streets and every where
 How do you cope amid all the big names in the fashion industry?

I cope by keeping my head above the water. Trusting God to lead and direct me. And focusing on the Core Vision of Zhukkiiafro. 70% mass production of male afrocentric casuals and 30%females
 How will you compare our fashion to that of Europe and America? 
 You can't compare our fashion industry to that of their European counterparts because we don't have what they have. There is no basis at all for comparison.
 I did my internship in UK with a white designer. I have travelled for shows in America. We are still far from there.
what's the unique thing about your designs?

 Our unique selling point, Keep it simple, classy, trendy and timeless

Comments