IAM VERY FULFILLED AS A MAKE UP ARTIST-CHINWE OWHORJI



 Chinwe owhorji (born feb 3rd), is a Nigerian makeup artist and a communication graduate from university of portharcourt.
 She is the founder and CEO of Colours'n'Brushes makeup studio in portharcourt.
 In this interview with Eric olusesan,she reveals how the journey into make up world began for her.





How it all began? 

First of all, i  have always loved makeup,I love it when a lady's makeup is well done and she looks well put together. I watched my older cousins put on their makeup right from when I was a kid, it fascinated me. So when I started wearing makeup as a teenager people always commented that I looked good and wanted me to help out with theirs. In March 2012, I decided to get formally trained because this was something that almost came naturally to me, so I said to myself "why not make a business out of your passion?" after training, I got my business registered with the corporate affairs commission and here we are.

What inspires you?

 Quite a few things inspire me. Sometimes simply watching a lady walk or talk and immediately I have an idea of the kind of makeup I would have her wear. My inspiration to keep doing what I do just comes from an innate desire to see more women become more successful at doing what they do and looking good while achieving their goals.

 How fulfilled are you in your chosen career?

 Iam very fulfilled in what I do. I love to teach and impact knowledge that's why I take students but most of all I feel very honoured and privileged to be a part of the happiest days of people's lives. Sometimes when I do makeup for special events I feel like iam part of history. Its a wonderful feeling.


 Who is your role model?

 Well,  I have quite a number of them as I admire them for quite different reasons but two of them really stand out for me. The CEO of house of tara is a wonderful woman. She gave the art of makeup in Nigeria the respect it has today. Secondly Mrs Buntricia Bastian, world renowned makeup artist and master educator is also a woman I admire so much especially for her generousity towards upcoming makeup artists all over the world by giving them a platform to excel in. She's a blessing to the industry.

 How do you unwind? 

 Taking a break once in a while is very important physically and mentally. Iam trying to be more health conscious these days by working out once in a while, I love to hang out at the karaoke bar with friends some evenings,other times I read novels.

Advice for the Nigerian Youths? 


 I would like to tell the youths to try and focus more on what they can do for themselves and society at large instead of what the government can do for them. The responsibility of building our society and the nation at large lies with us.

where do we see your outfit in the next five years?
 
 In five years time, I would want "Colours'n'Brushes makeup studio", in at least five major cities in Nigeria. I want to be able to give back to the society by offering free makeup training for those who have a passion for makeup but can't afford it. I want to be doing a lot in capacity building


what do you think the government can do to help the industry ?

 Right now the focus of the government in Nigeria is not on the promotion of creative art and I would like that to be given more attention. Soft loans and grants should be given to encourage youths who have chosen to be entrepreneurs. This would help them grow their businesses thereby reducing the problem of unemployment in the country

Comments