Building home is more important than acting for me —Grace Amah


As a popular actress, how do you cope with negative stories?  
The entertainment industry, everywhere in the world, is a game of fame; and anyone who plays the game knows that it is a profession where secrecy and privacy are difficult to maintain. Everybody, especially you (press), wants to know what we do every time and every day. The profession is also a game where, because of competition and, sometimes, envy, a lot of people would want to create negative reports about others for their own selfish advantage. That is why you see a lot of things that are not true being said or written about some actors and actresses. But because Nigeria is a country where people seem not to have the time to pursue things in the courts or maybe because our legal system seems to be time-consuming, many people try not to seek legal action about certain negative reports about them. So, people take advantage of that situation and rubbish people’s image in the media. I may have been a victim of such negative reports in recent times, but by virtue of the profession, when I know that a certain negative story about me is not correct, I discard it, assured that many of my fans know me well and would not be swayed by such stories. However, when I’m sure a negative report is deliberately created to tarnish my image, my profession or that of my family, I will definitely take legal action against such writer or publisher as the case may be.

Was there any time your parents advised you to quit acting after reading a negative story about you?
My parents were never in support of me going into acting in the first place, so they did not need to wait until they read negative stories about me. However, after I had spent some time on the profession and they found out that I remained focused and never got involved in terrible things some of our colleagues do (as reported in the media), they left me. My parents are completely with me now and they have no reason to think otherwise about my roles in Nollywood.

Did the negative views affect you as an actress?
As I told you, this profession is synonymous with negative publicity because, perhaps, our culture is such that Nollywood is seen as a derivation of Western influence, when people are seen on sets kissing or fondling each other. Viewers (here) see such things as real action, and when they see such actors or actresses in real life, they think that the role they play in the movie is what they do in real life. You don’t get bothered so much about what people say, knowing fully well that most of them comment out of ignorance. That, of course, is not to say that some of us do not misbehave. The truth is that I have never lost sleep over what people say; I worry more over how to please my God and not necessarily how to please man. I will always perform my roles well for my fans.

Do you consider yourself a controversial person?
I don’t know what you mean by being controversial. I cannot come from the kind of home I come from and be a controversial person. But what I have always tried to do is not to allow anybody to deny me my right, either as a result of size or through sheer intimidation. And you know, in Nigeria, when you refuse to be intimidated by people, they give you different names – arrogant, controversial or proud. I am not a controversial person, but nobody can deny me my right, privileges or entitlements anywhere.

Did you ever think you would become an actress?
Like I said, it began naturally, I could not help it. I had wanted to be a lawyer; I actually enrolled to study Law at the University of Ibadan, but after a while, the urge for acting dominated the urge for the legal profession. So, it was not an issue of thinking but that of natural talent which had to be developed according to God’s plan.

How exactly did this all begin?
Every profession has a beginning. It could come either as a passion or develop in the course of growth or academic development or by association with peers. My journey to the entertainment industry was a passion that began from my primary school days. My teachers then noticed I did things in a manner that people around me were entertained one way or the other. When I got into the secondary school, the passion increased, such that as I began to participate in play groups usually organised in the school as co-curricula activities, I remember a time when one of my teachers wrote a letter to my parents indicating that, by her observation, I was going to be a great actress. My parents did not even open the letter until many years after I had begun acting. So, the passion for acting began early in my life, and I have been doing happily since then.

What was your first movie and how much were you paid?
My first movie was Chains, directed by Lancelot Oduah Imasuen. The purpose of developing a career is first to fulfil one’s destiny and be happy. Money is secondary. As of the time I began to act or got my first starring role, money was not really an issue but to fulfil that passion in me and to develop my potential in that perspective. Money may come, no problem; but the primary goal is to be happy in the profession. The moment I am not happy on the job, no matter how much you pay me, the money will not give me joy.

What has the industry brought to you as an actress?
Well, the first thing is fame. It is a thing of joy that I walk on the streets and I see people coming around wanting to touch me or take photographs with me because they have been seeing me on the screen. And I have noticed that even when I enter shops to make purchases, I’m treated differently from others, with some level of respect; and oftentimes, I get waivers or discounts that others may not get. At the airport or public places, I see people who recognise me coming to say ‘Hi’ and even try to exchange numbers or contacts with me. These things make me happy and money cannot buy them. A lot of people with so much money cannot sleep without sleeping pills, but here I am, happy with myself and people coming and wanting to identify with me. I thank God.

Have you ever encountered sexual harassment in the course of your career as an actress?
No. If I did not encounter that during my early stages in the profession, it cannot happen now.

Do you have people you look up to as role models?
Liz Benson has always been my idol, and she will remain so for a long time to come.
When you are not on set, what else do you do?
When I am not on set, I am taking care of my home, especially since I had my son. He has been my source of joy and he keeps me busy all day. I also engage in other business activities that are not yet a public matter, but which will be made public in due course. I read, write and travel as well.

Have you been publicly embarrassed before?
Maybe when I had a motorcycle accident in 2009; but no one has embarrassed me in the public for any reason, and I do not engage in things that cause public embarrassment.

How many movies have you featured in so far?
I can’t really remember now, but it’s over 50.

How many movies have you produced?
At the right time with the right resources, I will produce movies, and the time is very near by the grace of God.

What message do you have for your fans?
I know many of my fans will be wondering why they have not been seeing me feature in movies recently. My message is simple: you people out there know that, as an African, the home is very important. No matter what you do, if you do not have a home, the culture regards you as a waste. I have taken out time to build my home and raise my children. I have bounced back to the scene and sooner than later, you will all begin to view your darling actress. I thank you all for your prayers and messages. I read all of them. I want to assure you, once again, that I will not disappoint you by the special grace of God.

Comments