‘I copied jokes as a young comedian’


‘I copied jokes as a young comedian’
Gbenga Adeyinka needs no introduction. He is one of the most popular comedians in the country and has been so for several years now.  he spoke on comedy issues.
What can you say about comedians using others’ jokes; which is now one of the issues in the industry?
I always tell people, when I started, I used people’s jokes. The jokes I started with were the jokes of Gbenga Adeboye and others. I used the jokes of great Yoruba comedians and I turned them into English. It is normal for young comedians to steal the jokes of a more accomplished comedian.
One thing I always tell people is that if you steal my joke, do it better than I would have done it. Some of the best jokes I have told in my life are the jokes of people that would come to me and say you have done my joke very well.
So a young comedian is supposed to steal jokes to start with but when it gets to a certain level, he should start creating his own materials so that other young comedians coming will see him as a role model and steal his own jokes too. And what are we talking about, who has an original joke anyway? I read a lot of books and I know a lot of the most successful comedians in the world read a lot of books.
There is a book called the Bible of Comedy. It tells you ‘read books, read joke books to get ideas.’ To me, what is wrong is if you tell a joke, then I take it verbatim, you are there, I don’t credit you. I can just say let me tell you what Ali Baba told me one time, then I will tell the joke.
You are very energetic on stage. What’s your secret?
The fact is that my desire to make people laugh anywhere gives me much energy to do what I know how to do. I don’t like to be in a place where people are not making noise or not shouting or generally making fun. I love to keep where I am as lively as I could. My performance is very natural and in fact, there is no amount of drugs that can induce the kind of excitement that I get when I am on stage.
As a matter of fact, being on stage makes me high and the desire to have fun and crack jokes make my performance so energetic. Even in the church, I like to make noise, not to talk of being on stage.
There are lots of young comedians out there, do you have a particular one you think we should watch out for?
It would be unprofessional to just pinpoint one because there are so many talented young men and women out there who with the right exposure will have the sky as their starting point. I have quite a few protégés but it’s better that they talk about themselves. I also believe we were all put on earth to mentor other people.
Will you say comedy is something one can learn?
My belief is that you can’t learn comedy. You must have it to develop it. It is just like football. If you like, start running from the old Toll Gate to Iwo Road every morning for the next four years, I tell you, you can be fit as hell, but you can’t be as skillful as Jay Jay Okocha.
If Jay Jay Okocha does not run, he will still play football because he has it in him. So, it is something I have always had but I didn’t know what it was. So, you must have the comedy thing in you before you start to work on how to maximise it, not that you learn it.
How has the journey been for you in the comedy world?
It has been very interesting, tough, mad, annoying and fulfilling. In fact, the day people realise that I enjoy what I am doing, they will stop paying me, because I don’t know why people pay me to come and have fun or crack jokes. I like seeing people laugh. When I tell a joke and you laugh, I am so excited.
If I was in London or America, I won’t be doing just one job. I will be washing dead bodies, sweeping the ground or be a bouncer because I have a big stomach. So why can’t I stay in my country and keep doing different things related to my passion and be good at it?
How do you feel about the rush into comedy by many people nowadays?
Well, the sky is very large for several birds to fly. Comedians can’t be too much in the Nigerian entertainment industry because you would find a market for your brand. What matters most however is your ability to introduce something different to the sector as well as ensuring that you represent the sector and the country appropriately.
Who are those that helped you up the ladder?
Well that is a big one. Ali Baba is one man that has helped to take the brand from the common jester-like face to the corporate with his branding. Tee-A is also a brother that I was with at some point in my career. He gave me a lot of support. I remember I used to help him paste posters for his shows in those days.

Comments