People insulted me over my marriage – Toni Payne


Click for Full Image Size
Since parting ways with 9ice, Toni Payne has maintained a low profile only making appearances at specific events. The young woman however spoke with naijaentertainers.blogspot.com, on her life as a single parent, interest in arts and poetry and new relationship

You have been described with different negative attributes, how do you feel about it?

That is true. I have been called several names. I have been described with words that are not even printable, but the truth of the matter is that a lot of the people who have described me don’t even know me to start with. People have said different things about me and there is no truth in what they have said. I am a humble, friendly and simple lady. But most time, when people want to pass a comment and they don’t know what to say, they just blab what they know nothing about, and that has being my story.

But you were recently accused of criticising Tonto Dikeh for turning a singer?

That is not true, I would never do that. Why would I criticise her when I am not an expert in music? I did not do anything like that and Tonto knows I would never say anything derogatory about her. Thank God we are both in the showbiz industry where we understand how things work. That story was cooked up by somebody who did not have a story to write and he just needed to fabricate one. I know what the person wanted to achieve, but I am too smart for that. They wanted us to start fighting with each other, but we are just too mature for that.

Do you still keep friends because some of your old friends have caused you problems in the past?

I don’t have friends in Nigeria. My friends are all in the United State of America.

What about Ruggedman, is he no longer your friend?

You won’t expect me to call people who I see once in a while my friends. Most of my friends are in America and we keep in touch.

How often do you speak with 9ice?

We have the interest of our son at heart.

Is there the possibility of reconciliation?

I don’t want to talk about that please. I am not God so I can’t say yes or no. At the end of the day, only God knows where our future is headed. Let’s move on to something else.

Are you in a relationship presently?

I don’t want to talk about that too.

Any regrets about how your marriage went?

In life there are always two sides to things. People never gave me a chance before judging me. I received so many insults, hate mails over something I did not do. It was painful knowing I was innocent yet a lot of people were quick to crucify me. I will just say to those who judged me blindly, may God forgive you. Next time find out facts before castigating an innocent person. In Nigeria, women are usually judged unfairly. It is very unfair.

What has motherhood changed in you?

It has made me more tolerant at the same time more protective. A mother and son love is unique. It is a very special feeling.

Comments