Don’t call me a comedian – Kunle Bamtefa


Kunle Bamtefa
For his role in the popular comedy series, Fuji House of Commotion, veteran actor, Kunle Bamtefa, is regarded as a comedian by many. The way he interprets his role is what planted that notion in the minds of his fans.
 However, Bamtefa told us that he feels offended whenever he is addressed as a comedian. Bamtefa stated that as an actor, he is able to interpret any role effortlessly.
He said, “I am not a comedian; I am an actor. Because of what I have been doing for a long time, the Fuji house and its comedy, people think I am a comedian. When you address me as a comedian, I feel offended. I am an actor and I can interpret any role and play whatever part because I am trained to do what I am doing. I am not a comedian. I am an actor.”
The veteran said that if he wasn’t an actor, he would have excelled as a singer. He said that his friends think he is a better singer than an actor.
“If I were not an actor, I would have been a musician. I would do a bit of music because I sing, I drum. This is something that God gave me and I try to improve on it. Some of my friends say that I am a better singer than an actor, but I never pushed my music to any appreciative level. I sing with good bands and a lot of people. Basically, I enjoy myself. I think I am a very lucky bloke because I am doing something that I love doing and I am getting paid for it. It is God’s grace and I cannot be any luckier than that. My acting and anything I do is not work for me; it is enjoyment and the best part is I get paid for it,” he said.
Although he was nominated but did not win in a category at the recently concluded Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards, Bamtefa said he is not a big fan of awards. He stated that even if he won, it would make little difference in his life.
He said, “Even though I did not win an award at the just concluded AMCVA, I still feel good. I said initially that I do not work for awards, I work for fulfillment and satisfaction. I am trained to do what I am doing and when you are trained to do what you are doing, you are working and you just go to the next job. I have been in this job for a while. I know that in Nigeria, awards will not change anything. People will still give jobs to who they know, their friends and people who will not take a lot of money from them. It is not like elsewhere where you are being nominated and it puts you in the peak and you are getting more jobs. I will not get more jobs than I am suppose to get but it feels good to be nominated. It shows that you are doing something right. I have never been a fan of awards.”

Comments