How I combine dentistry with music — UK-based musician, Deola Ososami

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Deola Ososami is an upcoming Nigerian singer/songwriter based in the United Kingdom.  The 22-year-old artiste spoke on life in the United Kingdom, her music career, among others.
How did you end up in the music industry and what is your genre of music?
Music has really been in my life, since I was younger. My earliest memory was probably when I was 10, when I was doing some singing in church and little bits of performances. Since then, I have really loved music.  That was when it came into my life really. Of course, I studied in school and decided to take up music as a profession. My style of music is Afro hip-hop with a tint of soul and jazz and so, I have a range of fast songs like ‘Beremole.’

‘Beremole’ is currently rocking the airwaves. What informed the song?
It is just a fun song and it is coming from the point of view of a confident girl. When she is out, she sees a guy and they both like each other and the girl decides that she will be the one to make the first move, so she asks him for a dance. That is where the song comes from.

As a Nigerian based in the United Kingdom, I hope you have not discarded your culture?
It is hard to run away from one’s culture. Most of my family always did come all the time from Nigeria to visit us in the UK and most of my friends are Nigerians. You can’t really take the culture away. It is within me. It is not something one can lose, so the Nigerian culture is still a big part of me. Though I am based in the UK, I know so much of my culture. I even talk about it with my friends in the UK.
   
Do you reflect it in your music?
Definitely, the music always has the Afrobeat style. I think one of the things that make me unique is that I try to mix different styles of music but I give it that Afrobeat edge. All my songs will definitely have that Afrobeat edge and style to it. I like to sing in a mixture of English and Yoruba, most of the time, but once every while, there might be a song that is fully English. Definitely, I am trying to give a nice blend with the languages as well.

Do you speak Yoruba?
I am not great at speaking the language. I understand it perfectly well but obviously, because I lived there my accent sometimes is not perfect but definitely, I am developing that.

So how do you manage to blend Yoruba and English in your songs?
Well, like I said earlier, I understand it well, so I write it in my songs and sing it. It’s just that my accent and intonation reflect in it, hence not making it very ‘Yorubaish’ but I’m improving on that.
 
What are your plans for 2013?
I will be hoping to release about six new songs showing different sides of me. Hopefully, there should be one in the first half of the year.

 What should your fans expect in the songs?
There are a variety of topics in there and a range of love songs, inspirational songs and fun songs as well. My next release is almost ready. It is called ‘Never Leave.’ That will be the next song from the mixtape. It is a love song. It is just me saying I will never leave you.

Why just mixtapes, don’t you plan to release an album?
I wouldn’t say I am putting it away. I am a new artiste, so at the moment, I am still trying to get people to know what I am actually about rather than focusing on a full album. I am just focusing on releasing a few mixtapes. They would definitely have a large number of songs. The music album is still coming out definitely.

How do you get inspiration for your songs and do you write them yourself?
Yes, I write all my songs myself but that does not mean I can’t get a script from someone in future, it depends on the message. I guess I draw my inspiration from everyday life and occurrences and from what I experience or observe as well. Inspirations just come on a normal basis. The inspiration of my sound is a fusion of genres and a range of artistes, like Asa, Corine Bailey Rae, Erykah Badu and more traditionally, The Kutis and Shina Peters.

What record label are you signed with?
I am signed on an independent label called Lunakidz Music based here in the UK but they are also looking to expand into African countries, because I can bet you, there is a good market in Africa, particularly Nigeria. They are already building some collaboration with some Nigerian artistes as well. It is an upcoming label though. I know quite a few of the people on the label, so we have developed a friendship over a long time.

You are a singer but currently studying dentistry. What’s the correlation?
Like I said, from a young age, I have always loved music and I have always known that music would be a part of my life in some way. It wasn’t always clear to me how but I think over the last few years, that has formed the basis of the conclusions for me. I just love dentistry too but my passion lies in music. I love my academics but music is really my passion. It is all about balancing. At the moment, things are balanced very nicely. I have time to work on the music. I also have time to work on my studies as well.

Were your parents in support of your career choice?
My parents are very supportive. They have always been encouraging me doing music from a young age. They are very supportive. Obviously, they want me to finish my degree and I am definitely going to finish it. Then I would be able to focus more on the music as well.

Tell us some of your achievements music-wise?
My music talent was refined at the prestigious Tech Music School, that is a school that has created more successful musicians than anyone else in Europe. From there, I graduated with a CERT HE in popular music performance. Another achievement was also when I was awarded best performer of the year ahead of a large number of extremely talented musicians, after a show-stopping performance at London’s Shepherd’s Bush Empire.

How is the reception to your music in the UK?
People are very receptive to new styles and new ways of expressing creativity, especially through music. Over here, people are receptive to Afrobeat style of music, so I would say it has been good. It is very encouraging to see what the likes of D’banj and Wizkid are doing over here. They are paving the way for Afrobeat, right now.

Tell us about yourself and growing up?
I have just one brother. Growing up in the UK is good. The UK is mixed with different sorts of people and diverse cultures, so it is good to meet all sorts of people. Growing up in the UK was fun. Deola is quite a fun person and a serious person as well. I am a hard worker and I love to write all my songs. I like to have fun as well. I am a fun person.

Are you thinking of relocating fully back to Nigeria?
Let us see what the future holds. God and the future will determine that.

Were you born in the UK?
I was born in Nigeria. I lived there till I was seven and I have been in the UK since then. I have lived most of my life over here.

With the music industry already bursting with stars, how do you hope to register your presence?
Thankfully, I am working with people here. I am also employing airplay as a medium and my single ‘Beremole’ has been enjoying good airplay. I am not out to compete with anybody, my music and talent will speak for me, so I have nothing to fear, my presence will be established and grounded.

Who are your role models in music?
My music is influenced by a lot of people I listen to. They influence my style of music. Some of them include Tiwa Savage, Waje, Erika Bhadu and Asa.

What challenges do you face regularly, as an artiste?
One of the biggest challenges I have faced is the battle to keep doing the next song better than the last. You are only as good as your last work, so it is quite challenging coming up with new ideas that people haven’t heard before, things that are fresh and will bring something new to the music scene. That is quite a big challenge but obviously with hard work, you can have new and creative ideas coming in. But seriously, it is not easy, as I thought before embarking on the career professionally.

Comments