ZHUKII AFRO,NAIJA TOP DESIGNER



There’s a new generation of Fashion Designers in nigeria. They’ve carved a niche for themselves out of their culture and tradition. Many celebrities and upcoming artistes are found rocking various traditional pieces during events and recently the red carpets. Eric Olusesan meets one of these new generation,Zhukii Afro,who takes us into her world of  Fashion  in this  interview.

Can we meet you?
My name is Azuka Echekoba and Am the CEO and the Creative director of  Zhukkii Afro. The brand is seven years old.
 Zads is a fusion of fashion and events company. .Our products are RTW casual male shirts, skirts, tops(females), casual male footwears and accessories. Others services we offer include pattern training,fashion/tailoring training and events packaging.

How would you describe Fashion in nigeria?
Fashion and garment industry has done 360 degree evolution in nigeria.
Designers are getting accolades and recogniction now more than before. In terms of creativity, nigerians are very good but some are still lacking in the technical aspect of fashion. And in order to compete with the international markets,there are some technical acts you must learn to get right.

When did you realize you wanted to become a Fashion Designer?
The Truth is, I knew I was creative,what I didn't know was how to go about expressing my creativity. I am multi-talented,I do makeup,I write,I enjoy cooking and experenmenting new dishes.Garment designing and construction is just one part of my giftings.

How long does it usually take to construct a piece?
That depends on the pieces that you are making,cocktail, evening wears take as much as one week,from conceptualization to pattern drafting to cutting, gumming , stiches, etc.

Who is one of your favorite model to work with?
If am to choose, I like to work with a real woman, a bit of flesh here and there.tall with a square out shoulder and good carriage.

 What are your accomplishments so far as a designer?
I think I will say being able to stay afloat inspite of the numerous challenges.

Who are some of your favorite designers ?
I will say MUDI for his ability to surmount all difficulties and challenges and went international. From nobody to Somebody,each time I pass through his place my hope is renewed.

Its been nice to talking with you
Thanks,the pleasure id mine.

Comments