I'M NOT A HEAVY DRESSER- CHARITY OGWUTUM, MISS RIVERS GOLDEN JUBILEE





In recent times, there have been an upsurge of beauty pageants on the Nigerian soil. Some of them well commended, while many others controversial and criticised . But a contact with Charity ogwutum changed all that, she is not just a beauty to behold but a beauty with brain. Read this thought provoking interview Eric Olusesan had with her.

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people sitting
Your background?

 I was born and bred in Port Harcourt, into a royal home of Chief (Apostle) John Ogwutum in Rumuezolu kingdom, Rumuomasi. I am in my mid-twenties. I had my primary education and secondary education at Community Primary School, Rumuomasi, Port Harcourt and Jumat Secondary School, Port Harcourt respectively. Thereafter I proceeded to Rivers State University of Science and Technology where I bagged a B.Sc in Business Education – Accounting. My growing up was fun being loved by my parents and siblings. They provided me with almost everything I wanted and made sure that I was comfortable in school. I was so attached to my mum hence I was greatly devastated in her death even up till date.
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling

How has it been since you won miss golden jubilee? 

Just like the life of every person who suddenly rise to fame, I have been trying to manage it. I now have more friends, more calls, and more people trying to identify with me. Even some people who hitherto were not close suddenly started coming close. Somehow, I am enjoying the whole thing only that some of the things I love doing before I do them no more as I am now in the public eye. It’s been fun I must say.

Is it your first attempt at beauty pageant?

 Certainly not! In 2008, I made an attempt at Miss Caniriv beauty pageant. Thereafter in 2009 at a very young age, I won Miss Obio/Akpor crown which was also the Local government Area I represented. I have also taken part in Miss Niger Delta.
What's your fashion routine? 
Modest! I am not a heavy dresser, nor crazy about fashion or labels. I dress as the occasion demands and according to the time too – morning, afternoon, night, lunch or dinner date etc., in all I keep it modest. I wear what fits me not because it is in vogue. I am not also crazy about make-ups and costumes, probably because of my faith.

Any pet project? 

None for now, but there might be one later.
Image may contain: 1 person, sitting and indoor

Your statistics? 

24:29:41

Advice to youths to stop cultism and other vices? 

I acknowledge that the world is unfriendly and not a bed of roses and even if it is, roses have thorns. Knowledge is a curative strength against ignorance, and buried potentials not invoked through concerted efforts do not lubricate the wheel of progress. We should appreciate the benefits of education, education and more education in today’s dynamic world and as one of the engines of our progress. I was very happy when it filtered in the news that out of the numbers of amnesty youths sent to Britain to study, six of them came out with First Class. That’s cheering news. I encourage us to psychologically re-position ourselves against criminal activities which can dearly negate the blessings of our supposed collective aspirations and jeopardize the dreams of our founding fathers. We should rather channel our energies to creative and benefiting pursuits, by establishing in ourselves the feeling of self-worth. I encourage us to reshape our general attitude in respect of our relationships with others to anchor on truth and honesty; eschewing corrupt practices especially when entrusted with leadership roles. I encourage us to be proud of and uplift our cultural heritage as a means of defining our self-identify, shunning any form of corruptible and manipulative influence or Ne-colonialist cultural infiltration. I encourage us to see the need to religiously follow democratic principles, ethical and moral values in fair political participation instead of blindly following a political material because of sentiment or sympathy invoked by spirit of political affiliations. We are all we need and we can individually and collectively make our dear state great by employing the right attitude.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, shoes
How do you relax?

 I relax by reading motivational and inspirational books, watching movies and sometimes playing indoor games.


Where do we see you in the next five years?

 Honestly, that will be determined by my God. But on a carnal note, I will like to see myself as an international runway model or product ambassador in the next five years. In addition, I will also consider owning a fashion label. These are aside from acquiring my Masters and Doctorate Degrees.


What are the qualities that stands you out)? 

Humility and patience; Respect for others.


What are your responsibilities as miss golden jubilee rivers state? 

First and the most important responsibility is promoting the cultural heritage of Rivers State. I am also a youth ambassador by implication therefore, I owe it to the Rivers Youths to encourage them by way of working in alliance with corporate bodies to empower them. As a role model, I am expected to live a life worthy of emulation by my peers.
Thank you.
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, sitting

Comments