Ameobi eyes Nigeria World Cup spot



Newcastle United striker Shola Ameobi has made it a priority to help Nigeria qualify for the World Cup.
The 31-year-old, who recently declared his availability to play for Super Eagles, told the BBC that he is looking forward to helping the team achieve success, starting with the World Cup qualifiers.
“It would be incredible for me to represent Nigeria again. And to help them qualify for the World Cup would make it extra special; my full focus is now on helping the Super Eagles to be successful,” he said.
Ameobi, whose only cap for Nigeria came in a friendly match against Venezuela in November last year, stated that he is looking forward to making a significant contribution in a competitive team.
“I've got to get into this incredibly talented team, make sure I give my best, show my experience and make a significant contribution.
“I made my [Nigeria] debut at 31, now here I am and hopefully my experience will enable me to develop at this level. Every player is looking to play at the World Cup. I think we've got every chance of qualifying - but we must fight and earn the right to be there.”
Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi has already earmarked the former England youth international to play a significant role in the crucial World Cup qualifier against Malawi in September.
But Ameobi is expected to make his international comeback at the Nelson Mandela Challenge on August 14.

Comments