Late JT Tom West Influenced My Career – Benita Nzeribe


Benita Nzeribe
Benita Nzeribe is a Nollywood star actress who started as a teenager in the late 90s. And at the age of 28, she has become a veteran of sorts having put behind her close to two decades of acting. The Anambra State-born actress who recently landed a multi-million naira deal as the face of Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA), has appeared in many movies including her block buster performance in a TV drama series ‘Beyond Our Dreams’ . In an interview , the gap-toothed thespian spoke about what she’s been up to and other sundry issues.
With your deal as NAMA ambassador, can we say Benita has arrived?
I have always been there. Remember I started early?
I became a star as a teenager and I grew up in the industry.
So the issue of saying I have arrived does not arise at all. I have always been there.
So what is acting to you, was it by talent or you learnt the trade?
I can’t say I learnt the act of acting, it is natural. It’s what I can call in-born. I started acting when I was very young. Nobody was born acting but to me it is just natural. Like I told you earlier, I actually started very long time ago. I started as a teenager that was in 1998, when I was just 13 years old.
So I never learnt or studied it. I actually went to study English at the Abia State University, and not Theatre Arts as many people expected me to have done. When I joined the industry, I knew I did not make a wrong choice but that did not make me to go to university to study Theatre Arts. Instead I went to study English.
That means somebody must have influenced your choice of acting?
Hmm! I will say the late JT Tom West. He was so influential to my career
Did you ever encounter sexual harassment when you joined the industry?
God designed me in a good way. I was not sexually harassed simply because I was picking up in the soap opera drama series. Though I heard it happens but it never happened to me. But in actual fact, other profession also experience sexual harassment. It is not only in our industry. It happens every where.
What is your take on the issue of broken marriage which is very common among celebrities in Nollywood?
I hate it when people say such a thing that broken marriage is rampant in Nollywood. It is not like that. It also happens everywhere. But when it happens who will report it? Nobody, because the other people involved are not known or well known. But when the issue is on Nollywood, you the press will feed on it.
Thank God there are no more issues like that again. Now we are getting married everyday but you people will not report that, but when there is a broken marriage, you will turn it to paparazzi.
Have you ever thought of acting in Yoruba films?
Not really, you know I am not a Yoruba by tribe. Though some of them have called me to come and act in Yoruba before but I declined because I can’t speak a fluent Yoruba.
But one of your colleagues, Uche Jombo who is not a Yoruba by tribe acted in a Yoruba movie?
It all depends on the line. If am given a minor role that is not so deep, I can also do it. But like I said earlier on, they come for me but I can‘t do it.
You are now the face of Nigeria Airspace Management Agency (NAMA)...
...Cuts in with a smile. Yes, I am now the face of Nigeria Airspace Management Agency (NAMA). The managing Director of the agency, Nnamdi Udoh told me it was an honour well deserved, he also assured that NAMA had put in place the necessary logistics to commence area radar control of the country, with the aim of improving service delivery and assuring safety at all times and I am not going to disappoint them.
This must be another challenge for you?
I don’t see it as a challenge rather I see it as a way to give back to my country.  Moreover it is not a negative thing but a positive move.
The deal must have swelled your bank account by millions of naira?
I don’t want to discuss the monetary aspect of it.
Let’s talk about your love life?
(Cuts in) Wetin you wan know about my love life? Abeg forget that one, my love life is not for public consumption. My love life is not for your ears okay?
There was an interview you granted last year where you explained the reason you flushed your engagement ring. Did you...
(Cuts in again) See bros, I have told you I don’t want to discuss anything about my love life.
Can you tell us your kind of man?
My man should be straight forward, sincere and be God fearing.
I mean physical aspect? I don’t believe in physical thing. That is nothing to me. Everybody wants a tall, charming and handsome guy those are all physical things and will phase out one day.
What I believe in is what I don’t see that can never be changed, like his voice. If you go for tall and a handsome guy, what happens if the person has an accident and loses his face? God forbid.
Tell us five things people don’t know about you?
I am a very shy person. Secondly, I am sensitive. Thirdly, I keep to my self. Fourthly, I don’t like to hurt people; I prefer people to hurt me. Finally, I also like enjoyment...abi don’t you like enjoyment?

Comments