I HAD A T-SHIRT MESSAGE FOR MY DEAR MUM BUT…

The hero of the Super Eagles’ draw against Kenya in Calabar Nnamdi Oduamadi reveals how his plans for an elaboration dedication to his loving mum were affected by the result. The Varese winger also reveals his ambition regarding AC Milan, among other issues…


After more than eight months out of the Super Eagles, how does it feel returning to the team and scoring a decisive goal to earn the team a point on Saturday?

It feels good to be back in the team and to have scored a goal as well but it would have been wonderful if we had won with the three points in our kitty. Everyone expected us to win but we couldn't get behind the Kenyans who were on the back foot for the better part of the game. We still have three games to play and I believe we will finish as group leaders.  It would have been more painful if we lost. We conceded a goal against the run of play and we didn't take our chances;  but give it to the Kenyans too because they did well.
Watching the Eagles trail the Harambee Stars from the bench, could you tell us what was going through your mind before you came on in the 75th minute?

To tell you the truth, I didn’t have time to think about anything other than for us to turn things around. I was just hoping and praying that my teammates got the job done before the coach made his substitutions. And when he beckoned on me to get ready, I had only one thing in my mind and that was to either get an assist or score the equaliser myself and thank God it happened. We were just unlucky not to have scored three or four goals against the resolute Kenyans but the result was better than an outright defeat.

Did you believe you could score?

Well, I was optimistic I could because my mother had already told me that I would score and when I got the chance, I blasted the ball home before the defender came close with a tackle. I'm thankful to God for the goal because it was by His grace that I scored for the team. Initially, I wanted to control the ball but having seen the goalkeeper off his line and with  defeat staring at us as we were running out of time, I decided to go for a half volley which beat the keeper. It will go down as one of the best goals of my career so far because of its importance to the country’s aspiration of qualifying for the World Cup. I've scored so many goals for my various clubs but the one against Kenya was the peak of the pack.

What role has your mother played in your career so far?

I'm happy that Madam Patricia is my mother. She has been the pillar God has been using to uplift my career and with humility and commitment, I believe that this is just the beginning of many things to come. If not for the urgency of the game, I would have displayed the inner shirt I wore with the inscription: ‘Mum's prayer keeps me going’ – I mean if we were leading them. But since we needed to get the winner when I scored the equalizer, I just raced back to the line for a restart and how I wished we won that game.
It still hurts but I'm optimistic that we will qualify from our group.

This result has brought pressure back on coach Stephen Keshi and the entire team with two draws and one win. How best do you think the team should handle this result bearing in mind the remaining fixtures and current group standing?

If we can play to our strength, I ‘m confident we will emerge winners in our next games. Who says we can't win all of our three games left? We are aware that every time we want to play any of these teams, they are always extra motivated to defeat us and with our recent status as African champions, we face such pressure to deliver in every game regardless of the opponents. Pressure is part of the game and we must learn how to deal will it. I just want to appeal to Nigerians to support the coach and the team. I’m happy because my form is improving at the club level and now I've achieved the goal of getting back into the Eagles squad. The chance has come at a good time in my career and I need to make the most of it. We're desperate to get to the World Cup. Our next match against Kenya is a must-win which will help us to regain our confidence. This team is young but very experienced. Age doesn't make much difference at this level and the most important thing is that we must respect each other- on and off the field, and play as a team.

Do you think winning the AFCON in South Africa affected the Eagles performance against Kenya?

The pressure could be weighty at times but I don't think that affected us. But we have to try and rise above it and not let what people say get to us - particularly on our heroics in South Africa because it will be a big shame if we don't qualify for the 2014 World Cup.

Looking ahead to Brazil 2014, what are your expectations?

It's the dream of every player to represent his country and having missed two World Cups at the U-17 and the U-20 level, it's my prayer to make the team to Brazil. It's going to be massive and the fact that's taking place in Brazil makes it a must for Nigeria's flag to be hoisted there because the world Cup in Brazil won't be complete without the ‘Brazil team’ from Africa.

Varese have suffered two defeats since you left them for international duties in the league lately do you think they can finish in the play-off spot?

Yes... we will. That's our target since we stand little or no chance of finishing in the automatic spot for promotion. I think it’s just a coincidence - something you can put down to all the games we’re playing. It can take a lot out of you and we are struggling a bit in the league. We’re still fighting though and looking no further ahead than our next game. We are determined to go as far as we can. We ’ve got a strong squad and we ’ve learned a lot in the last few months. I hope we’ll find greater consistency very soon.

What are your future plans?

I'm keeping my options open for now. A return to Milan would be splendid for me to see out my final year and hopefully I can get an extension. Also, there's a possibility if Varese gain promotion that I join them permanently.  But like I said, my options are still open. Playing in another top league would shape me and help me develop as a player. But I'm not thinking that far ahead at the moment. I'm happy in Italy and I am delighted with the way things are going with my career.

Comments