I like confusing my audience —Blessing Patrick


I like  confusing  my  audience —Blessing Patrick

Burgeoning actress, Blessing Patrick, is one of the emerging talents to watch out for on the movie scene. The industrious actress cum model is also the editor of Infinity Fashion magazine based in the United Kingdom. The fair-skinned actress who hails from Cross River State opens up on her life as an actress, a model and fashion designer in this interview .
WITH the name Blessing Patrick, most Nigerians would not be able to place a finger on your state of origin. What part of Nigeria are you from?
Blessing Patrick is from the Southern part of Nigeria; from Ikori Yakuur L.G.A in Cross River State. These days, we are nick- named Cross-Riverians. My mother is from Auchi in Edo State.
How did you venture into acting?
I must say I got into Nollywood by sheer fortune; a friend invited me for an audition and that was it. The rest, as they say, is history…
What does acting mean to you?
Well, acting means a lot me; acting is life and I get challenged and inspired whenever I am presented with a movie script. In simple terms, acting brings out the best in me and I have always wanted to be a movie star right from when I was very young.
How far do you intend to go in the world of make-believe?
I intend to go very far in the world of acting; I intend to go as far as God wants me to. I also would like to leave an indelible mark on the scene; I want to make a lasting impression that everyone will know me by, and I am seriously working towards achieving that.
How many major movies have you been part of?
I have been part of 10 major movies which are out now though more are yet to come by His grace. I have featured in movies like the World of a Prince, Enter the Place; Wave of Glory, Blast of the Mafia, Sexy Vampires and Masquerade Dancer, to mention a few.
Have you been getting acting roles as expected since you ventured onto the movie scene?
When I first ventured into the industry, that was the case, but not anymore. Everything will fall into place with time as long as you are dedicated. The keyword is patience; a lot of young actors want to become super stars over night forgetting they have to earn it, you have to work for it. Yes, I have been getting roles as expected, and I say glory be to God because it’s not easy!
How much will it cost to get you on set?
Well it all depends on the script and I believe my management is capable enough to handle that aspect properly.
What kind of movie script brings out the best in you?
Any movie I accept to do I will give it my best. For me I like challenging roles because I like people to see me in different lights and to be confused when they see me playing different roles and cannot exactly say if I am the one playing the role because I look different and I play the role very well. I can fit in every role because that’s what makes me an actress, but I think I will really love to do a story of a born-again girl filled with Holy Spirit!
How do you combine acting and modelling?
I’d say that if you have a passion for the things you do, combining all of them and getting the best out of them would not be a problem. That’s because those things are the things you love doing. Combining acting, modelling and fashion is not a problem; I just find a way to strike a balance.
Is it true that your greatest assets are your boobs and beautiful body shape?
(Laughs out loud) Yeah I am blessed with a captivating look, but that’s not my greatest asset, please. I believe my greatest asset is what the physical eyes can’t see. You have to look at me in the spiritual realm! Christ in me is the greatest asset that I have got!
Can you act nude and sexy roles?
What a question! I cannot act nude, but I can act sexy and I bet you it will come out better than nude.
What’s your involvement with fashion?
My involvement with fashion started from my growing up as a child through my mum who was a designer too.
You also edit a magazine ‘Infinity Fashion Magazine’ in the UK; tell us about it?
I must say that God has been so good to me. The Infinity international which also publishes the Infinity Fashion magazine gave me a platform to operate without any struggle. And so, l became an editor of the fashion magazine and a designer also.
It all started in one of my visits to the UK and a friend invited me to the runway of infinity fashion week. I met with one of the top executives of the magazine and he fell in love with my African outfit. He asked if the outfit was made by their fashion house but I told him I designed the dress myself. He was amazed and he asked me some questions about my dress which I answered and he immediately made me one of the judges of the fashion show that night. He later contracted me to be the editor for the Infinity Fashion and Style Magazine.
Tell us about your experience working as a designer
It was an interesting and eye- opening experience; I got to learn new things working as a designer. I also got to find out that you must be very passionate and highly creative in a field as ours.
Can you throw more light on the ‘Magic Lens Production Talent Hunt’?
Magic production talent hunt project is a platform to help our youths attain what they have always wanted in the area of getting jobs in the showbiz world. Unemployment is a major setback in the lives of the youths in Nigeria. So, even after graduation, they are seen roaming the streets looking for daily bread and all that, whereas they could be breadwinners in their different homes. It is sad that the same talented youths are the ones used by our politicians and drug barons to perpetrate their crimes, but if jobs were provided for them, crimes would be minimal in the society. The talent hunt project is set to create job opportunities for those who are talented enough to go into acting. Magic lens is coming out very big again soon, by the grace of God my other colleagues who got me in. My big uncles in the industry such as Charles Awurum and Charles Inojie are also trying to make it come great again this year.
What was growing up like for you?
Growing up for me was okay even though I got to learn so fast than my peer group.
My childhood was interesting because l grew up before my mates and if am asked to put it into words, l would say it was wonderful because l started doing what my mates were not doing at the time. I was always with my mother who was a great fashion designer and I practically learnt all that l know in fashion, designing and making of clothes. Who knows why my mother made it compulsory for me to learn how to make use of a sewing machine when l was only a child! Perhaps she knew that she won’t be with me for long. My mother left this world when l was only a teenager, but she left me with a legacy and today I am who l am because of that.
Which comes first: fashion, modelling or acting?
Hmmm…All of them come first, but it depends on which comes when I am available.
How challenging has acting been thus far?
There have been challenges encountered thus far but I don’t see them as challenges because they are price we pay to get to the top. His grace has always been sufficient for me as a child of God.
What kind of man will make you say “Yes, I do”?
What kind of man would make me say “I do”? That would be a man with the character of an Apostle (Laughs uncontrollably).
As a beautiful actress, do you sometimes get passes from movie producers and actors alike?
The entertainment industry is spiritual but most people are blind to that fact. Be you a dwarf or whatever you look like in the business, you will get passes from anyone; getting passes is not new again!
What makes you tick?
I believe my versatility on the job makes me tick. I can act any role provided it is not a nude role as I said before. I have the fear of God in me; I am very hard working and passionate about my career.
Tell us your experience as a young girl watching your mother cut clothes and march the sewing machine
I was always with my mother who was a great fashion designer and I practically learnt all that l know in fashion, designing and making of clothes. Who knows why my mother made it compulsory for me to learn how to make use of a sewing machine when l was only a child. Perhaps she knew that she won’t be with me for long. My mother left this world when l was only a teenager, but she left with me a legacy and today I am who l am because of that.

Comments